Monday, May 27, 2013

H I G H L I G H T S: Freshmen Year

IMG_0542IMG_0546IMG_0584IMG_0592
First week of college. Earn Your Wings fun. Kite day (I still have that kite) will forever be my favorite memory of EYW. It's actually my best memory because 1. I didn't have friends yet and 2. it was actually, you know, fun.

IMG_0600IMG_0789IMG_0624IMG_0647
New school President. Airport fun with future roommate. Campus. Hawk Nelson concert. Where I got really sad because it wasn't the Hawk Nelson I knew. DSC_0087IMG_0842DSC_0046IMG_0957IMG_0944IMG_0964IMG_1010IMG_1014IMG_1033IMG_1046
End of semester concerts. If you follow me on any sort of social media (facebook/twitter,) you know that that girl, Morganne (the one in the red and yellow scarf) and I are the best of buds now. And you should also know that that picture right there was taken at the event of studying for a math final that kickstarted our friendship. At the end of first semester I moved from upstairs, to downstair and it was the best decision I ever made in my life. And my new roommate Annabeth made that nifty name tag for our door out of a paper cup. A great start of a great semester of roommate-ness. Christmas decorating, first finals week ever and the breakfast of champions.IMG_1317IMG_1341IMG_1348DSC_0763IMG_1444IMG_1502IMG_1571IMG_1695
SECOND SEMESTER: "All about cha" dates. Tons of coffee (like I'm not kidding). A weekend trip to Tulsa. Graffiti pictures that will forever be my favorite. Beautiful songs played in orchestra. A "snowstorm", Oklahoma style of course. A multitude of concerts and the growth of friendships. IMG_1960IMG_1997IMG_1896IMG_2025IMG_2055IMG_2069IMG_2076IMG_2148
Spring break trip to Colorado. Guitar and violin jam sessions. Roommate accidental matching day. A drive through the country ending with a trip to POPS! A visit to the lake. Hours in the practice rooms. Iron and Wine outdoor concert. All of the exciting things seemed to happen at the end of the semester... IMG_2159IMG_2218IMG_2225IMG_2273IMG_2229IMG_2275IMG_2281IMG_2288
The start of studying for finals. Concerts, concerts and more concerts. (If you haven't guessed, music majors go to TONS of concerts). Our last night on campus before summer break was spent playing "baseball" in the dark outside the dorms. It was one of the most fun nights ever and a great way to end the semester. The next day was spent cleaning up the dorm room and saying goodbye to friends. Annabeth and I said "s'long" to room 313 and we turned our keys in and headed out. Freshmen year was over. Year one of college was done.

I still have a hard time believing that my first year of college is now complete. It seemed to go by so slow, yet so fast at the same time. The journey that life took me on from the end of first semester, to the end of second semester was a crazy one. A lot of upper classmen said that first semester would be the worst. As much as I thought that wasn't true, I agree with them now. Looking back first semester, I knew no one. Barely had any friends, and was still trying to figure out the whole "college" thing. By finals week of first semester I felt like I was finally getting it. Second semester took off running and it was nothing less than fantastic. I said earlier that I changed roommates and moved from upstairs, to downstairs. This may seem like a small decision, but it was the most impactful one. I got to know so many more people on my hall downstairs, and formed several great friendships because of it. Everything that I hoped for dorm life to be, became true after I moved. Hallway talks at 2AM, pranks ALL THE TIME, and just good fun and laughter. It was nothing but wonderful.

The friendships that I formed second semester were those college friendships you hope for. The ones that you know are going to last forever and those "best friend" types. I honestly don't know what I would do without those friends. I can't wait to see all the crazy things we end up doing together in the semesters to come. I'm sure it'll be nothing but awesome.

Freshman year all in all was pretty great. I've fallen in love with the Oklahoma Christian community and campus. The music department is great and I've loved the experiences I've had so far. Leaving for the summer was definitely hard, but I know that there will be plenty more semesters in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

yo. I think comments are pretty rad. Therefore, if you comment, then I think you are pretty rad. :)